Sarah Barnard Design
Santa Monica, CA
Title: Interior Design Intern
Start Date: 6/9/18
End Date: 8/18/18
Category: Interior design
Internship type: Summer internship
Education requirements: Undergraduate Students
Compensation: School Credit Internship
Mentorship information: Part of a team with multiple mentors
About the Designer:
Sarah Barnard is a member of the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID), is certified by the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA), and is recognized by the International WELL Building Institute as a WELL Accredited Professional (WELL AP), the International Institute for Bau-Biologie & Ecology as a Building Biology Practitioner (BBP) and by the United States Green Building Council as a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional (LEED AP). She has served on the Santa Monica Conservancy's board of directors and specializes in sustainable interior design, health and wellness and historic preservation.
Goals of the Internship:
At Sarah Barnard Design, we acknowledge the importance and value of a good mentorship. Our ultimate goal is to prepare interns to enter the workforce and learn functional design job skills that are not taught in a classroom setting. By the end of the internship, we hope to advance our interns’ ability to write about their trade and teach them to make themselves more marketable to future employers by giving notes on how to improve their current portfolios and resumes.
- Shadow the designer at client and vendor meetings.
- Coordinate and attend vendor materials presentations.
- Research and write 1 academic article relating to the interior design industry per school term.
- Learn Studio IT time card procedures on an ongoing basis.
- Master proper phone and email etiquettes in following up with clients, vendors, and press.
- Research project materials on the internet and in the field.
- Study how to research with tangible library materials and learn proper put away procedures.
- Observe interviews with next generation of interns and take notes on good interviews.
- Write daily logs to keep track of what interns have learned during the course of the internship, which the designer will review to give further advisory on the intern’s growth.
- Present updated resumes and portfolios to designer for review and consulting at the end of internship.
- Cover Letter